Patriots lose defensive tackle A.J. Francis to Dolphins
|11.26.13 at 4:00 pm ET|
The Patriots lost practice squad defensive tackle A.J. Francis on Tuesday, as the Dolphins signed him to their 53-man roster.
Francis, who started the year with Miami before the Patriots claimed Francis to their active roster in September (before releasing him and slipping him through to the practice squad), returns to the Dolphins having never played a game with New England. The 6-foot, 316-pounder was a four-year letterman at Maryland and recorded 149 total tackles, 9½ sacks and three blocked kicks.
Francis’ farewell — combined with the news that the Patriots are set to sign tight end D.J. Williams — could force the Patriots to do some roster shuffling. Williams could be ticketed for Francis’ old spot on the practice squad, but he could also join the active roster as insurance in case Michael Hoomanawanui’s knee is worse than initially anticipated. If that’s the case, New England would have to release someone off the 53-man roster to make room for Williams.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?
- Patriots Draft Guide and Preview
- Super Bowl LI Odds: Brady Suspension Equals Uncertainty for Pats
- Gronk Reveals the Secret to Tinder Success