Patriots lose defensive tackle A.J. Francis to Dolphins
|11.26.13 at 4:00 pm ET|
The Patriots lost practice squad defensive tackle A.J. Francis on Tuesday, as the Dolphins signed him to their 53-man roster.
Francis, who started the year with Miami before the Patriots claimed Francis to their active roster in September (before releasing him and slipping him through to the practice squad), returns to the Dolphins having never played a game with New England. The 6-foot, 316-pounder was a four-year letterman at Maryland and recorded 149 total tackles, 9½ sacks and three blocked kicks.
Francis’ farewell — combined with the news that the Patriots are set to sign tight end D.J. Williams — could force the Patriots to do some roster shuffling. Williams could be ticketed for Francis’ old spot on the practice squad, but he could also join the active roster as insurance in case Michael Hoomanawanui’s knee is worse than initially anticipated. If that’s the case, New England would have to release someone off the 53-man roster to make room for Williams.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video