Inactive analysis: Stevan Ridley will sit against the Texans
|12.01.13 at 11:42 am ET|
The following players were named inactive for Sunday’s game against the Texans: linebacker Steve Beauharnais, cornerback Alfonzo Dennard, defensive lineman Jake Bequette, wide receiver Aaron Dobson, running back Stevan Ridley, tight end Michael Hoomanawanui and offensive lineman Marcus Cannon.
The biggest surprise on this list is Ridley, a feature back who has struggled with ball security over the last season. In his place, expect the Patriots to lean on fellow backs LeGarrette Blount, Brandon Bolden and Shane Vereen. Here’s a look at some of the rest of the inactives and what it means for Sunday’s game plan.
Cannon: The offensive lineman, who suffered an ankle injury in the win over the Broncos, did not practice all week and was downgraded on Friday. Expect Will Svitek to take the bulk of the reps in his place on the right side.
Hoomanawanui: Hoomanawanui went down with a knee injury in the loss to the Panthers in Carolina, and hasn’t been seen on the practice field or in game action since. Matthew Mulligan and the recently acquired D.J. Williams will see more time because “Hooman” is out.
Dobson: Like Cannon and Hoomanawanui, the rookie was downgraded on Friday. (He did not practice this week after suffering a foot injury in the win over Denver.) Kenbrell Thompkins and Josh Boyce should see some snaps as part of the New England passing game.
Dennard: Dennard’s knee will limit him again this week against the Texans. Logan Ryan should play more in his absence, although the Patriots do have the option of moving Kyle Arrington from the slot to the outside and putting Ryan at Arrington’s old spot.
Beauharnais: The rookie out of Rutgers has been caught up in a numbers game for the bulk of the season, and as a result, has been a healthy scratch for most of the year.
Bequette: The second year defensive lineman out of Arkansas has slipped behind Andre Carter and Michael Buchanan on the depth chart.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...