Jason Campbell ‘looks sharp’ and gets the start Sunday vs. Patriots
|12.06.13 at 1:55 pm ET|
After a week of guessing, the Patriots finally know the quarterback that will be facing them on Sunday at Gillette Stadium.
Browns coach Rob Chudzinski announced Friday afternoon that veteran quarterback Jason Campbell has been cleared from his concussion suffered on Nov. 24 against Pittsburgh and is expected to start Sunday. Campbell practiced for the second straight day Friday and showed no ill effects from the concussion.
Campbell’s record this season is 1-3, with his only victory coming against the defending Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. Campbell has completed 87-of-153 passes this season for 933 yards, six touchdowns and three interceptions.
Of course, most Patriots fans will remember Campbell as the quarterback of the Washington Redskins in 2007 when the Patriots obliterated Joe Gibbs and Washington, 52-7, at Gillette Stadium. He was 21-of-37 for 197 yards, with one touchdown and one interception.
Campbell practiced for a second straight day and impressed those in attendance, including his coach. “He looks sharp and hasn’t missed a beat,” Chudzinski said.
Campbell vs. Pats 2007 with WAS–21-for-36, 197 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT in 52-7 loss 2011 with OAK–25-for-39, 344 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT in 31-19 loss
— Christopher Price (@cpriceNFL) December 6, 2013
Quarterback Brandon Weeden will not be Campbell’s back-up. He has not yet been cleared to practice and will be inactive for the game, Chudzinski said. He was the only Browns player not at practice Friday.
Caleb Hanie, who was signed this week as a free agent, or Alex “Trickshot” Tanney, signed last week off Dallas’ practice squad, will get the nod as back-up but Chudzinski says that won’t be announced until Sunday.
#browns Campbell is probable. Has been cleared to play. Will start vs patriots
— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) December 6, 2013
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL