Patriots put Rob Gronkowski on IR, add TE D.J. Williams
|12.09.13 at 4:53 pm ET|
The Patriots placed tight end Rob Gronkowski on injured reserve Monday afternoon, officially ending his season.
Gronkowski sustained a right leg in the third quarter of Sunday’s win over the Browns, and reports later indicated he suffered a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee. It marks the second consecutive season that has come to a premature end for Gronkowski, who spent last offseason recovering from multiple surgeries on his forearm and back. (He missed the first six games of the 2013 season as a result.)
Gronkowski is the latest New England star to see his season come to a premature end because of injury — he joins defensive linemen Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly; linebacker Jerod Mayo; and offensive lineman Sebastian Vollmer, all of whom have been placed on season-ending injured reserve.
Gronkowski’s season ends with 39 catches for 592 yards and four touchdowns.
In his place, the Patriots have signed tight end D.J. Williams. Williams was signed by the Patriots on Nov. 27 and saw limited action in the win last Sunday at Houston. Williams, 25, played in seven games with one start for Jacksonville this season before being released by the Jaguars on Nov. 4. The 6-foot-2, 245-pounder originally entered the NFL as a fifth-round draft pick (101st overall) by Green Bay out of Arkansas in 2011. Williams was waived by Green Bay on Aug. 31, and claimed off waivers and awarded to Jacksonville on Sept. 1. He has played in 34 NFL games with three starts and has nine receptions for 70 yards.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL