Broncos’ loss provides Patriots with chance to land No. 1 seed in AFC
|12.13.13 at 12:53 am ET|
The Chargers’ win over the Broncos on Thursday night in Denver has opened the door for the Patriots in the AFC.
The Broncos drop to 11-3 with the defeat, and with the Patriots sitting a half-game back at 10-3 — and the tiebreaker in hand because of the victory over Denver last month — New England now controls its own destiny. If the Patriots are able to win all three of their remaining games, then they will secure the top seed in the AFC playoff picture.
It won’t necessarily be an easy road for New England, which has two games on the road (against Miami and Baltimore), but if the Patriots can pull it off, they will have home field as far as they advance through the AFC playoff chase.
Here’s a look at the latest AFC playoff standings:
1. Denver: 11-3 (clinched playoff berth)
2. Patriots: 10-3
3. Cincinnati: 9-4
4. Indianapolis: 8-5 (clinched AFC South)
5. Kansas City: 10-3
6. Baltimore: 7-6
Still in the hunt
7. Miami: 7-6
8. San Diego: 7-7
9. NY Jets 6-7
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It