Stephen Gostkowski: ‘Today just wasn’t my day’
|12.15.13 at 6:03 pm ET|
MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. — It was not Stephen Gostkowski‘s finest hour.
The kicker — a bonafide Pro Bowl candidate who had been converting at a blistering 94 percent rate over the first 13 games with six field goals of 50 or more yards — missed a 48-yard field goal attempt wide left in the second half, and knocked a late kickoff out of bounds that allowed Miami excellent field position for a key fourth-quarter drive.
While the loss isn’t all on Gostkowski’s shoulders, he had no problem taking responsibility for his own shortcomings late in Sunday’s 24-20 loss to the Dolphins.
“There were many times where I felt like I put a good swing on the ball and it was a good operation today,” he said after the game. “But today just wasn’t my day, and it stinks to play terrible and lose.”
It was a good start for Gostkowski, who had an early 22-yard field goal, to go along with a 23-yarder in the second half. But the 48-yard miss ended a streak of 21 straight makes from inside 50 yards for him.
“I felt like I hit it pretty well,” he said. “The weather was blowing left to right all day, and I thought if I let it leak left a little, the ball would land where I planned it.”
Then, the botched fourth-quarter kickoff attempt set the Dolphins up very nicely — Miami started from the 40, and went 60 yards on nine plays for what would be the game-winning score.
Asked about Gostkowski’s blunder, Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the loss can’t be put on the kicker.
“We just didn’t make enough plays in any of the three phases of the game,” he said. “We could have used one, two more plays in each phase of the game.”
“It stinks to lose and have such and affect on the game,” said Gostkowski.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction