Odin Lloyd’s family files wrongful-death lawsuit against Aaron Hernandez
|12.18.13 at 10:22 am ET|
The family of shooting victim Odin Lloyd filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, who is charged with Lloyd’s murder.
The suit, reported by the Fall River Herald-News, was filed in Bristol County Superior Court on Monday. It alleges Hernandez “maliciously, willfully, wantonly, recklessly or by gross negligence caused Odin Lloyd to suffer personal injuries that directly resulted in his death.”
The family is seeking a court order to prevent the Patriots from paying more than $3 million that Hernandez claims the team owes him as part of his contract in a bid to keep the money available to the family should it win the suit.
A hearing is scheduled for Thursday at 2 p.m. in New Bedford, where the plaintiff’s attorney will argue for a restraining order to keep Hernandez from using legal maneuvering to protect his North Attleboro home.
The suit was filed the same day a woman with ties to Hernandez died under mysterious circumstances. Tabitha Perry, who survived a car accident that killed Hernandez associate Thaddeus Singleton III in June, was found unconscious and not breathing by police responding to a 911 call to a home in Southington, Conn.
Connecticut authorities said they are waiting for the results of toxicology tests.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble
- Report: Lombardi Leaving Pats Front Office
- What Could Ninkovich's Position Change Mean for Patriots Defense?
- Who Were Patriots Minicamp Stars