Patriots release Marquice Cole for a fourth time this season
|12.26.13 at 5:20 pm ET|
FOXBORO — For the fourth time this season, the Patriots have released defensive back Marquice Cole from their roster.
Cole, 29, is in his fifth NFL season after spending time with the New York Jets (2009-11) and the Patriots (2012-13). The 5-10, 195-pounder originally joined New England as a free agent on March 19, 2012, and was re-signed by the team on March 20, 2013. Cole was released by the Patriots on Sept. 1, and re-signed by the team one day later on Sept. 2. After playing in the first three games, Cole was released on Sept. 27 and re-signed on Oct. 1.
He was released again on Oct. 4 before being re-signed on Oct. 7. Overall in 2013, he has played in 13 games and has 10 total tackles, one interception, two passes defensed and eight special teams tackles.
Cole played his first game of the season against the Jets on Oct. 20, playing a season high 62 of 93 snaps in the overtime loss. He averaged just over seven defensive snaps in his final five games, including a season-low four in the Dec. 15 loss to the Dolphins. Cole had one tackle in 18 special teams snaps last Sunday against Baltimore.
Cole originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Oakland out of Northwestern in 2007. He spent the end of the 2007 season on the Tennessee practice squad and part of the 2008 season on the practice squad of New Orleans. Cole began the 2009 season on the practice squad of the New York Jets before joining the 53-man roster early in September.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England