Report: Brandon Spikes needs knee surgery immediately after season
|12.29.13 at 12:40 pm ET|
Spikes, the lead run-stopping linebacker on the Patriots defense, has been hobbled since the middle of the season. He has been on the team’s injury report for several weeks with a knee injury. The Globe’s Shalise Manza Young reports the knee issue is a ligament
tear that will require injury.
Spikes most active game came on Oct. 6 against the Bengals when he made 22 tackles (coaches grade) and picked off Andy Dalton once in a 13-6 loss in Cincinnati.
‘It’s pretty banged up, but this deep in the season, everybody’s banged up,’ Spikes told Young. ‘I’ve been able to deal with the pain and stuff like that.
‘And when I’m out there, my adrenaline is pumping and the thrill of it, but it’s part of the game. That’s what makes this game so good ‘ you’ve got to be able to play through pain.’
Spikes is third on the Patriots with 48 solo tackles and 85 overall. Only Dont’a Hightower and Rob Ninkovich have more.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?