Patriots practice Wednesday: Logan Mankins (ankle) absent, Devin McCourty returns
|01.01.14 at 11:51 am ET|
FOXBORO — On a frigid New Year’s morning outside Gillette Stadium, the Patriots returned to practice in their bye week and joining the Patriots for the first time in two weeks was safety Devin McCourty, who missed the season finale with a concussion.
Logan Mankins was one of four Patriots not on the field after injuring his ankle on Sunday in the win over the Bills. Mankins injured his left ankle when he helped spring LeGarrette Blount on the 39-yard touchdown run early in the second quarter. He went down into the locker room and missed just one series before coming back to play. He had a walking boot by his clothes at his locker after the game.
Alfonzo Dennard (knee), Josh Boyce (ankle) and Aaron Dobson (left foot) were three other players not spotted Wednesday morning as the team practiced in sweats and shells on the lower grass practice field. Julian Edelman and nose tackle Chris Jones were two of the only players spotted not wearing long sleeves on a morning where the wind chill was near zero.
McCourty’s return is encouraging after injuring his neck in the win over Baltimore on Dec. 22 and suffering a concussion. He missed a full week of practice before sitting out the game against the Bills.
Even with the impending snow storm, the Patriots are still scheduled to practice Thursday and Friday before taking the weekend off to enjoy their bye. After the weekend, the Patriots will return to practice on Tuesday as they prepare for their divisional playoff game at Gillette on Jan. 11.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know