Report: Ryan Allen gets MRI on right shoulder
|01.12.14 at 2:44 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The Patriots might find out soon if Stephen Gostkowski or someone else might have to take the place of punter Ryan Allen in the AFC championship.
The dinged up punter is scheduled to undergo testing on his right shoulder on Sunday, a league source tells Nick Underhill of MassLive.com.
Allen was injured during the second quarter of Saturday’s 43-22 win over the Colts when trying to get on top of a bad snap from Danny Aiken and was tackled at his own goal line. He punted following the safety and then left the game. Allen was spotted on the sideline clutching his right shoulder and consulted with Patriots team doctor Tom Gill, a shoulder specialist.
The concern is that Allen might have sprained his acromioclavicular (AC) joint in the shoulder. If the MRI confirms the diagnosis, healing can take as little as two weeks or as many as six, depending on the severity.
If the MRI reveals a less severe injury, Allen could be cleared next week since he is a punter. Any other player would likely be done for the season, a medical source tells WEEI.com.
Allen, in his first season out of Louisiana Tech, was having a solid rookie season, averaging 45.9 yards punt during the regular season, with a 39.9 net average.
Allen had one punt of 55 yards Saturday night before getting injured on his second punt of the night. Gostkowski punted the rest of the night quite ably. He punted five times for an average of 41.8 yards, including a net of 36.6 yards and a long of 53 yards on his first punt of the night.
Ryan Allen is undergoing an MRI today at 3. Initial thought is possible sprain of AC joint, per a league source.
— Nick Underhill (@Nick_Underhill) January 12, 2014
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Says He Has No Interest in Pursuing Coaching Career
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England