Tom Brady goes home sick, Ryan Mallett takes first-team reps: ‘It was a lot of fun’
|01.15.14 at 2:31 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Following Patriots practice Wednesday at Gillette Stadium, backup quarterback Ryan Mallett acknowledged he took snaps with both the first team as well as the scout team stepping in for Tom Brady who was not present at the media portion of practice.
Multiple reports indicate that Brady was on site at Gillette Stadium early Wednesday morning but went home sick, as did long snapper Danny Aiken, who was also missing at the media portion of practice.
“It was a lot of fun. I like getting to play in our offense,” Mallett said.
The 25-year-old said he was notified he’d be taking the first team snaps this morning by coach Bill Belichick, but wouldn’t elaborate any further, although he did acknowledge he spoke to Brady earlier in the day.
“This morning,” Mallett said, when asked about when he found out he’d be taking first-team reps. “You have to ask coach, I just do what I am told and do my job.”
The backup quarterback said his focus didn’t change as even when Brady is practicing, he is still mentally preparing like he is out there.
“Even when I am not taking snaps with the first team I am watching and playing the game in my head so I get my reps in case something happens and I’ll be going into the game,” said Mallett.
Mallett also simulated Peyton Manning on the other side of the ball for the Patriot defense.
“Peyton does a lot of different stuff and we do our best to emulate that and give our defense a good look,” he said. “A few Omaha’s.”
The exact reason for Brady’s absence at media portion of practice will be revealed in the injury report which will be released later in the afternoon.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video