Wes Welker reportedly gives motivational speech to his Broncos on eve of AFC championship
|01.19.14 at 12:23 pm ET|
DENVER — Wes Welker knows he’s lucky to have a second chance at his former team this season.
And this time, he wants to make the most of it.
According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Welker stepped up and spoke at the team’s meeting Saturday night after some encouraging last week from Denver head coach John Fox.
Fox is obviously aware that no one would like to make amends more than Welker after he failed to call off former Patriot Tony Carter on Nov. 24 at Gillette Stadium on a punt return late in overtime. The ball hit Carter and led to Stephen Gostkowski‘s game-winning field goal in the 34-31 Patriots win. The Broncos led 24-0 at halftime but collapsed quickly in the second half.
Welker spurned the Patriots last March and joined the Broncos, signing a two-year deal for $12 million, $1 million more per year than the Patriots offered.
Things have turned out quite well for Welker as he caught 73 passes for 778 yards and a career-high 10 touchdowns. He had a three-yard TD reception last week in the AFC divisional win over the Chargers.
Earlier in the week, Welker was asked to compare playing with both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. “It’s like comparing Picasso and Michelangelo,” he said last week. “It’s hard to compare the two.”
Denver's motivational guest speaker at its team meeting Saturday night was former Patriots WR Wes Welker, per team officials.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 19, 2014
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...