Andre Carter on Wes Welker’s hit on Aqib Talib: ‘It was a nasty play’
|01.20.14 at 1:21 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Much of the talk the day after the Patriots’ 26-16 loss to the Broncos in the AFC championship game has been surrounding the apparent pick play across the middle of the field early in the second quarter when Broncos wide receiver Wes Welker ran into Patriots cornerback Aqib Talib, forcing him from the game with a knee injury.
“When I saw it, as a play in general, Wes, was he doing his job? He was to a certain degree,” Carter said. “Do I think the hit could’ve been cleaner? Yes. I’ve been around a lot of football to see that. At the end the end of the day it was a nasty play, but we’ll see what happens and what the league does.”
Talib was not spotted in the locker room during the media availability period.
Other members of the Patriots defense didn’t have much to say on the play as they haven’t had a chance to see it on film.
“I haven’t seen it yet. I just remember being on the field and the collision happening,” safety Steve Gregory said. “I haven’t seen the replay or anything like that.”
Defensive captain and safety Devin McCourty also didn’t see the hit, but noted he’d probably go along with what Belichick said.
“He’s seen a lot of football, so I’d probably go with what he says, I don’t know,” McCourty said. “I haven’t gotten a chance to watch it and a chance to look at it.”
McCourty noted it’s hard to say a player would deliberately hit another player with the intent to injure, but winning the game is always the ultimate goal.
“That’s tough to say someone would do that, but I think all of us out there would do anything to try and win that game,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...