Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond agrees with Bill Belichick about Wes Welker play: ‘It was really uncalled for’
|01.23.14 at 1:05 pm ET|
The NFL might have cleared Broncos receiver Wes Welker for his hit on Aqib Talib that knocked the Patriots cornerback out of Sunday’s AFC championship game, but a player Welker will see in the Super Bowl wasn’t impressed.
“It was really uncalled for,” Seahawks cornerback Walter Thurmond told reporters Wednesday about the play. “The receiver ran right into the guy. I don’t know the extent of the injury Talib had, but I thought we were supposed to protect football players in this league now. I guess not. I guess that only goes one way.”
Patriots coach Bill Belichick on Monday called it “one of the worst plays I’ve seen.” Thurmond didn’t go that far, but he said a flag should have been thrown. He suggested that because Welker is a well-known receiver, he got the benefit of the doubt.
“If you’re intentionally coming at somebody, it’s supposed to be a flag,” Thurmond said. “But they didn’t throw the flag on him. Some players get away with a lot more than other players depending on status, but that’s just the nature of the game.”
Added Thurmond: “Welker had his head down, like he was coming down the whole time. That should be a flag, and he should be getting fined. There’s a whole bunch of things that should happen in that situation, but I don’t run the NFL.”
“We play a lot of man coverage, so we know they’re going to have a lot of crossing routes like that,” he said. “We’re preparing for that situation to occur. We know that kind of contact is going to happen because we play so much man, and we’ll be ready for it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL