Former Patriot Aaron Hernandez due in court Friday afternoon
|02.07.14 at 9:11 am ET|
Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez is set to make an appearance in Fall River Superior Court on Friday afternoon to face murder charges.
Just over a week ago, prosecutors filed a request for recordings of jailhouse phone calls Hernandez made. The 24-year-old, who is accused of murdering Odin Lloyd last summer, allegedly used “coded messages” to discuss the murder.
According to ESPN, those calls include Hernandez’s “belief about his criminal liability” and the “extent of his control over persons charges as accessories.” The request also states that Hernandez mentioned situations related to his co-defendants’ “whereabouts and likely criminal liability.”
Inmates are told that their phone calls will be recorded and are available to law enforcement if they are requested unless the phone call is to the individual’s lawyer.
The prosecutors are also looking to find out about the visits Hernandez has received while in prison, and have requested that the judge order the Bristol County sheriff to turn over records of any visits.
Hernandez’s fiance, Shayanna Jenkins, and cousin, Tanya Singleton, are among the people who are both connected with the case and visited Hernandez in prison. Both have pleaded not guilty — Jenkins to perjury and Singleton to contempt and conspiracy charges. Singleton was released from prison in late January on $15,000 bail.
Ernest Wallace and Carlos Ortiz, who are said to have been with Hernandez and Lloyd the night of the murder, have also pleaded not guilty to charges of accessory after the fact. The defense filed a discover motion a week ago asserting that Ortiz has changed his account of the murder and is no longer a reliable witness.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...