Michael Lombardi reportedly working on deal to join Patriots front office
|02.13.14 at 8:22 am ET|
Last time it took five years. This time, it might just be a few days.
Multiple reports state that Michael Lombardi, whom the Browns ousted from their general manager spot Tuesday, may join the Patriots front office. Chris Fedor of Cleveland’s 92.3 The Fan first reported a potential agreement between the two sides on Twitter Wednesday evening.
Nothing finalized with Michael Lombardi yet but it’s looking like he may be headed back to New England.
‘ Chris Fedor (@ChrisFedor) February 13, 2014
Lombardi spent one year working for the Browns, who overhauled their front office Tuesday when they also announced CEO Joe Banner would leave the organization in two months.
The move came as a surprise, in part, because Lombardi and Banner worked together to hire the team’s new coach, Mike Pettine, about a month ago. Lombardi also took part in hiring Rob Chudzinski, who coached the Browns to a 4-12 record last season. The team has not won more than five games in six consecutive years.
Cleveland is the first team in the league to fire a coach and GM after just one year at the helm when the coach and general manager were not the same individual.
Lombardi arrived in Cleveland five years after he was fired from his executive position with the Raiders. During the gap between those two jobs, he spent time working in the media.
If the reports are true, it will mark the first time Lombardi and Patriots coach Bill Belichick have worked together since Belichick started his head coaching career in Cleveland from 1991-95.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL