NFL considering penalizing players for inappropriate or hateful language
|02.23.14 at 9:48 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The NFL is considering penalizing players for inappropriate and/or hateful language, specifically, the use of the n-word. A 15-yard penalty would likely be the punishment for a first offense and an ejection for someone who does it twice in a game.
“We did talk about it — I’m sure that you saw near the end of the year that Fritz Pollard [Alliance] came out very strong with the message that the league needs to do something about the language on the field,” said Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, who is on the league’s competition committee. “So we did discuss over the last three days. I don’t want to get in from of what the competition committee talked about, but we did talk about race and gender.”
The competition committee is set to meet next week and discuss possible rule change proposals to be presented to the owners next month in Orlando, Fla. For a rule to pass, it requires 24 of the 32 owners to vote in favor.
The proposal comes at a time when the NFL is dealing with a bullying scandal in Miami, as well as the fact that Missouri’s Michael Sam could become the league’s first openly gay player. The rule could be expanded to deal with homophobic language.
“With any rule that we put into play, we have to look at it from A to Z and find out what are the unintended consequences as well as the consequences,” Newsome said. “As it was stated in our meeting, there are mics everywhere. If something is being said, it’s probably going to be captured somewhere. It would be an opportunity to get it verified if we have to.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...