3 thoughts on Patriots decision to cut Steve Gregory
|02.28.14 at 1:26 pm ET|
A couple of thoughts on the Patriots decision to release safety Steve Gregory:
1. Gregory signed a three-year deal with the Patriots worth $7.05 million in March 2012, and the decision will reportedly free up between $2 million and $3 million in cap space. With the new year — and free agency — just around the corner, this is as much about money as it is overall performance. As a result, New England will have a little more financial flexibility going forward.
2. In 2014, Gregory was the starter at the strong safety spot, and according to Pro Football Focus, was third among all defensive backs in total snaps with 849 (he trailed only Devin McCourty and Aqib Talib). Gregory, who missed two games with a finger injury last season, appeared to struggle at times over the course of the year with angles, but he was very highly regarded by the coaching staff and his teammates for his smarts. Several of his teammates indicated over the course of the 2013 season he was one of the smartest players they had ever been around, and indicated that he would make a very good coach.
3. Looking forward, the Patriots have a variety of options currently on the roster at strong safety, including Duron Harmon, who just finished his rookie season, as well as Kanorris Davis, who spent the bulk of the season on the practice squad. In addition, it appears that Adrian Wilson is rehabbing with an eye toward returning for 2014. Regardless, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the Patriots seek out another strong safety-type in free agency or the draft in hopes of replacing Gregory.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...