NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt
|03.06.14 at 1:12 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
School: Notre Dame
Weight: 304 pounds
Achievements: 2012 second-team AP All-American
What he brings: Tuitt has size and experience, despite being young. His big frame combined with sneaky athleticism make him versatile to play in multiple schemes. He’s not very quick and occasionally appears stiff. He does not display a wide variety of pass-rushing moves. There is some concern after he reportedly was diagnosed with a small fracture in his left foot just before the NFL combine, with surgery expected.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-2
Notes: Tuitt, who won’t turn 21 until May 23, had 47 tackles and 12 sacks in 2012, his sophomore year. The 12 sacks are the second most in a single season in school history. He recorded five tackles in the Irish’s loss to Alabama in the BCS national championship game. Following offseason hernia surgery, Tuitt was not in top condition for the start of his junior season, although he managed to finish with 49 tackles and 7.5 sacks before declaring for the draft. He appeared in nine games (starting three) as a freshman and recorded 30 tackles and two sacks.
CSN Chicago: Is Stephon Tuitt’s draft stock slipping?
Video: Here’s Tuitt in action against USC this past season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...