Workout notes on Patriots as pre-draft process kicks into high gear
|03.07.14 at 1:09 pm ET|
1. The Patriots had a meeting with Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans
The 6-foot-5, 231-pound Evans, considered to be a possible first-round selection at this stage of the pre-draft process, had an excellent on-field workout at the combine, finishing with a 4.53 in the 40 and a 37-inch vertical jump. That was on the heels of a terrific 2013, when he finished with 69 catches for 1,394 yards and 12 touchdowns with the Aggies. (For his college career, he had 151 catches for 2,499 yards and 17 touchdowns.) One other Aggie worth watching, according to NFL Draft Insider’s Tony Pauline, is running back Ben Malena, who reportedly had a meeting with the Patriots on Tuesday. The 5-foot-9, 195-pounder had 115 carries for 551 yards and 10 touchdowns last season with Texas A&M. Known as a multidimensional threat, he also had 49 catches the last three years as a collegian.
2. According to Pauline, the Patriots showed interest in tight end Blake Annen at Cincinnati’s pro day on Thursday
Annen is a 6-foot-4, 250-pounder who had 16 catches for 183 yards and two touchdowns in 2013, all career-highs for the Ohio native. Known more for his blocking skills than his work as a receiver, he was not invited to the combine last month.
3. The Patriots worked out Cal kicker Vincenzo D’Amato on Thursday, according to Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun
D’Amato was a second-team All-Pac 12 selection last year, and connected on 17 of 20 field goals last season, hitting all 11 tries inside 45 yards. The 6-foot-1, 205-pounder led Cal in scoring with a career-high 82 points in 2013.
4. Here’s a look at the notable pro day events scheduled for the next few days
— March 10: San Diego, South Florida, Troy, Villanova
– March 11: UConn, Kanas State, Michigan State, UCLA, Temple, Toledo
— March 12: Southern Cal, Michigan, Alabama, Boston College, Colorado, Colorado State, Marshall, Rutgers, Oklahoma
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Collins Is Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free Agent
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble