Cornerback Alterraun Verner: Patriots ‘definitely a possibility’
|03.10.14 at 9:13 pm ET|
Cornerback Alterraun Verner said Monday he’s heard from Devin McCourty, who has apparently been making a pitch for Verner to come to New England.
Verner, who has played alongside McCourty’s brother Jason the last four years in Tennessee, told Sirius XM’s Mad Dog Radio on Monday that Devin has been trying to get him to sign with the Patriots.
“(New England) is definitely a possibility,” Verner said. “Jason’s brother has been lobbying for me (to join the Patriots).”
It’s presumed Verner will make it to free agency, where he will be regarded as one of the best cornerbacks available. According to multiple reports, he’s drawn interested from the Rams, Redskins, Steelers and Vikings, Lions. It remains to be seen what sort of financial commitment the Patriots would — or could — make if they wanted to land Verner, but he seemed to indicate Monday that money wasn’t the most important thing on his mind.
“I would feel more obliged to go to a team that paid me $6 or $7 million and made me one of the highest-paid players on the team, than go to a team that paid me $8 or $9 million and I wasn’t one of the highest-paid players on the team,” he said.
The 5-foot-10, 187-pound Verner has played in 64 regular-season games the last four years, and has 50 passes defensed and 11 picks over the course of his career. His best season came in 2013, when he had 57 tackles (49 solo), 22 passes defensed and five interceptions.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return