Hitting reset button on Patriots and their own free agents
|03.10.14 at 1:23 pm ET|
With free agency set to open at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, here’s a quick look at where the Patriots stand with their own free agents:
Long snapper Danny Aiken: A restricted free agent, he’s signed a one-year deal to stick with the Patriots.
Running back LeGarrette Blount: No updates.
Defensive end Andre Carter: The veteran said last year that it was the Patriots or retirement, and when New England came calling midway through the season, he returned without a second thought. While he sounds content with the possibility of calling it a career, he told ESPN the door is always open to return for 2014.
Wide receiver Austin Collie: No updates.
Wide receiver Julian Edelman: Comcast’s Mike Giardi has reported that there’s a “strong push” at Gillette Stadium to keep Edelman.
Linebacker Dane Fletcher: No updates.
Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui: The versatile backup agreed to a two-year deal Monday to remain in New England.
Tight end Matthew Mulligan: No updates at this time, but a league source has expressed to WEEI.com some optimism the Maine product could return to the Patriots in 2014.
Linebacker Brandon Spikes: It sounds like Spikes is gone — he told the NFL Network on Friday that free agency could bring a “fresh start” for both him and the Patriots. It’s believed Spikes will draw plenty of interest around the league, but he could reunite with his former position coach (Pepper Johnson) in Buffalo.
Offensive lineman Will Svitek: No updates.
Cornerback Aqib Talib: The Redskins are apparently reaching out to Talib, and while the extent of their interest isn’t known, but it certainly makes sense from a familiarity standpoint, as new Redskins GM Bruce Allen drafted Talib in 2008 when he was with the Bucs and Talib played for new Washington secondary coach Raheem Morris when Morris was the head coach in Tampa Bay.
Center Ryan Wendell: No updates.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...