NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Notre Dame TE Troy Niklas
|03.11.14 at 12:54 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Tight end
School: Notre Dame
Weight: 270 pounds
Achievements: 2013 FBS All-Independent first team
What he brings: Niklas is a tough, physical tight end who has excellent size for today’s NFL. He is known as an above-average blocker who was used in a variety of ways at Notre Dame. Niklas is limited in the passing game and still developing as a receiver. However, he has shown flashes of being a good receiver with above-average athleticism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: The 21-year-old Niklas, who heads to the NFL after his junior season, had 32 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns in 2013. Before that, he only had five catches for 75 yards and a touchdown, mostly due to being stuck behind current Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert. … Niklas’s uncle is Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, who played 19 seasons for the Oilers/Titans franchise.
Inside the Irish: Troy Niklas heading to the NFL
Video: Here are highlights of Niklas in action against Michigan this past season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...