NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Notre Dame TE Troy Niklas
|03.11.14 at 12:54 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Tight end
School: Notre Dame
Weight: 270 pounds
Achievements: 2013 FBS All-Independent first team
What he brings: Niklas is a tough, physical tight end who has excellent size for today’s NFL. He is known as an above-average blocker who was used in a variety of ways at Notre Dame. Niklas is limited in the passing game and still developing as a receiver. However, he has shown flashes of being a good receiver with above-average athleticism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: The 21-year-old Niklas, who heads to the NFL after his junior season, had 32 catches for 498 yards and five touchdowns in 2013. Before that, he only had five catches for 75 yards and a touchdown, mostly due to being stuck behind current Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert. … Niklas’s uncle is Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews, who played 19 seasons for the Oilers/Titans franchise.
Inside the Irish: Troy Niklas heading to the NFL
Video: Here are highlights of Niklas in action against Michigan this past season.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board
- What Are the Patriots' Long-Term Needs?