Buccaneers cut Darrelle Revis
|03.12.14 at 3:49 pm ET|
A three-time first-team All-Pro who will turn 29 before the start of the 2014 season, the 6-foot, 205-pounder has spent seven years in the league — six with the Jets (2007-2012) and one with Tampa Bay (2013). He has 21 career picks to his credit, with his best season coming in 2009 when he had six.
“We would like to thank Darrelle for his time and effort with our organization last year,” said Bucs GM Jason Licht in a statement released by the team. “Darrelle showed a lot of heart last year as he worked extremely hard to get himself back on the field following his knee injury sustained the previous season. We have specific ideas regarding the best way to build this defense and, while you never like to lose a good player, we believe this is in the best interests of our team moving forward. Darrelle was a true professional here in Tampa Bay and we wish him continued success in his career.”
The Patriots are believed to be one of the teams in the mix for his services, and that speculation only increased Wednesday afternoon when New England released veteran defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga, who had a $3.5 million cap hit for 2014. That cost-cutting move, combined with the fact that New England came into the day with roughly $15.8 million in cap room (according to the NFL Network), leads many to believe that the Patriots will make an attempt to land the cornerback, who was set to make $16 million in 204 with Tampa Bay.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...