Agent: No deal yet between Patriots and Brandon Browner
|03.13.14 at 11:53 pm ET|
An odd free agent period got a little stranger late Thursday night when cornerback Brandon Browner had an agreement in place with the Patriots … and then, apparently didn’t have one.
After a Thursday visit with the Patriots, it was reported Thursday night by Ian Rapoport of NFL Network that Browner had agreed to a two-year deal with the Patriots. (The news also prompted his teammates — like Richard Sherman — to reach out with congratulations.)
‘ Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 14, 2014
Then, multiple reports came down that no such agreement was in place.
Brandon Browner’s agent, Peter Schaffer, said his client is in negotiations w/ “four teams and we do not have a deal. We arent even close.”
‘ Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 14, 2014
That prompted Pro Football Talk to reach out to Schaffer, who angrily denounced the idea that an agreement was in place.
“It’s 100 percent untrue,” he said. “I’ve got four teams to negotiate with. I’ve got irresponsible journalists who don’t check their facts putting this stuff out there, and my phone is blowing up when I’m trying to play hockey.
“I’ve got very little patience for irresponsible journalists who put this stuff out and ruin my night,” added Schaffer, who plays in an adult hockey league in Colorado. “My phone is going nuts. I just wanna play hockey.”
All of this doesn’t mean that a deal won’t eventually get done — there are a lot of things at play here when you’re talking about a deal like this one, particularly considering the fact that the logistics of Browner’s four-game suspension and how it might relate to a new contract have to be worked out.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know