NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Texas A&M OT Jake Matthews
|03.16.14 at 6:04 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
School: Texas A&M
Weight: 305 pounds
Achievements: Winner of the Bobby Bowden Award, given for performance on the field, in class and in the community, first-team All-American, first-team All-SEC (coaches), named to ESPN.com’s All-Big 12 freshman team
What he brings: Scouts agree that Matthews isn’t perfect, and he isn’t necessarily an elite player. He is, however, a hard-working athlete with the strength and mobility to control opponents.
Where the Patriots could get him: Matthews is projected as a top-10 pick, so the Patriots would have to trade up to get him.
Notes: Matthews is the son of NFL Hall of Fame lineman Bruce Matthews. He has two cousins in the NFL: Packers linebacker Clay Matthews and Eagles linebacker Casey Matthews. … Matthews, who moved from right tackle to left tackle during the 2013 season, helped the Aggies lead the SEC in scoring offense and total offense as the team averaged 44.2 points per game and 538.4 yards per game.
CBS Sports: OT Robinson overtakes Matthews near top of talented class
ESPN: The SEC’s 25 best players: No. 9
Video: Here’s a video showing Matthews at left tackle during Texas A&M’s game against Alabama.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades