NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Stanford G David Yankey
|03.17.14 at 10:22 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive guard
Weight: 315 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012 consensus All-American, 2013, 2012 first-team All-Pac-12
What he brings: Yankey has great initial burst, good size and solid athleticism. Known for good body control and strong hands. Yankey can sometimes lose form and get turned around and can be caught out of position. There are concerns that he doesn’t always play through the whistle, giving up on plays. Yankey is considered one of the best pulling guards in the draft.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-3
Notes: Yankey started in his true freshman year but got injured. He went on to start 40 games in the last three seasons. … Yankey played tackle in 2012 and guard in 2013, showing off his positional flexibility. He only allowed one sack at tackle in 2012. He started 26 games at guard and 14 games at tackle. … Born in Sydney, Australia, Yankey went to high school in Roswell, Georgia. … CBSSports.com ranks Yankey as the second guard in the draft while Mike Mayock of NFL.com ranks him as his No. 1. … He has added 75 pounds to his frame over the last three years.
Video: Here’s Yankey in action against UCLA this past season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...