NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Texas Tech TE Jace Amaro
|03.17.14 at 6:19 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Tight end
School: Texas Tech
Weight: 260 pounds
Achievements: 2013 All-America, 2013, 2012 All-Big 12 Conference first team, NCCA Division 1 record-holder for most receiving yards by a tight end (1,352)
What he brings: Amaro is a receiving tight end who is considered very athletic and has been noted for having good hands. During his time at Texas Tech, he was rarely used as a blocker, lining up in the slot the majority of the time. Amaro suffered a spleen injury in 2012 that caused him to miss time. There are concerns about Amaro’s maturity, specifically anger issues.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: Amaro put up impressive statistics as a senior in 2013, recording 106 catches for 1,352 yards and seven touchdowns. … Amaro is from Texas and went to MacArthur High School in San Antonio. He tore his ACL during his junior year in high school. … He combined for 32 catches, 466 yards and six touchdowns during his freshman and sophomore years at Tech. … Amaro is considered one of the two best tight ends in the draft. Many draft experts have mocked Amaro to the Patriots with the 29th pick.
Houston Chronicle: Amaro’s talent soars as temper wanes at Tech
USA Today: Junior tight end Jace Amaro and Texas Tech proving doubters wrong
Video: Here are highlights of Amaro vs. Arizona State during the 2013 Holiday Bowl.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Says He Has No Interest in Pursuing Coaching Career
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England