Patriots make Julian Edelman signing official
|03.18.14 at 4:21 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Tuesday they have re-signed wide receiver Julian Edelman. Here’s a portion of the press release issued by the team:
Edelman, 27, is a veteran of five NFL seasons with New England after joining the team as a seventh-round draft choice (232nd overall) out of Kent State in 2009. The 5-foot-10, 198-pounder has played in 64 NFL games with 24 starts and has 174 receptions for 1,770 yards and 10 touchdowns; 14 rushing attempts for 83 yards; 26 kickoff returns for 563 yards and 107 punt returns for 1,317 yards with three returned for touchdowns. His 12.3 career punt return average is tied for the fourth-highest in NFL history. Edelman has played in seven postseason games with three starts in his career and has 25 receptions for 248 yards and three touchdowns; two rushing attempts for 10 yards; three kickoff returns for 73 yards and 12 punt returns for 141 yards.
Last season, Edelman played in all 16 regular-season games with 11 starts and led the team with career highs in receptions (105), receiving yards (1,056) and touchdowns (6). He also returned 35 punts for 374 yards for a 10.7-yard average. Edelman also played in both playoff contests with one start in the AFC Championship Game and led the team with 16 receptions for 173 yards and one touchdown and returned five punts for 36 yards.
A quarterback in college, Edelman was converted to a returner and a wide receiver as a rookie with New England in 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal
- Brady's Request for Rehearing of Deflategate Appeal Denied