Patriots among teams proposing handful of rule changes
|03.19.14 at 3:52 pm ET|
There have been 13 new rules proposals made by the NFL’s competition committee, according to league spokesman Greg Aiello, with four of them specifically proposed by the Patriots.
1. Move kickoffs to the 40-yard line.
2. Make personal fouls reviewable.
3. No overtime in preseason games.
4. Extend the goalposts five yards higher. (Proposed by the Patriots)
5. Move the extra-point line of scrimmage to the 25-yard line. (Proposed by the Patriots.) The competition committee is — separately — proposing one preseason game this year where the extra-point snap will take place from the 20.
6. Add six cameras to all boundary lines to supplement TV camera angles. (Proposed by the Patriots.)
7. Allow any officials decision to be challengeable. (Proposed by the Patriots.)
8. Exend “roll-up” block fouls to include blocks from the side, not just from the back.
9. Allow replay communication from field to booth to include a representative from the officiating command center at league office.
10. Make the recovery of loose ball reviewable, and reorganize the replay section of rulebook.
11. Allow clock to run on quarterback sack at all times of game.
12. Elimination of the 1-yard pick zone. Pass interference enforced from line of scrimmage.
13. Simplify the enforcement spot of penalties, such as defensive penalties on loss or on change of possession.
In addition, there were seven bylaws proposed to modify roster cutdowns times (going from 90 to 53), number of players, and increase injured reserve/designated for return. And the use of racial slurs, baiting words, derogatory comments on sexual orientation would be enforced under current rules.
The issues will be taken into consideration for owners to consider at the annual meetings later this month in Florida.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19