Aqib Talib loved playing for Bill Belichick, but Patriots’ contract offer was ‘a little shaky’
|03.20.14 at 2:22 pm ET|
Aqib Talib said the contract offer from the Patriots “was a little shaky compared to Denver’s offer,” which was one of the reasons that caused him to sign a free agent deal with the Broncos earlier this month.
Speaking with Peter King of Monday Morning Quarterback, Talib touched on why he ultimately left New England.
“I definitely had an offer from the Patriots,” Talib told MMQB. “But there was language in there that definitely was a little shaky compared to Denver’s offer.
“The Patriots are a great organization. I loved my time there. I loved playing for Bill. He’s a great leader. I’ll be able to tell my kids I played for Bill Belichick someday and I was Tom Brady‘s teammate. Really, it’s just a dream I’m experiencing, when two great organizations want you like this.”
Despite the fact that Talib signed a six-year contract, he doesn’t sound worried about the fact that the Broncos can fundamentally walk away from his deal after three seasons.
“I don’t really get into that part of the business too much, how much of a contract is guaranteed and whether I’ll make it all the way through,” he said. “I hope I stay here for six years. Hopefully I see all six years, because that means I’m playing well. But for me, I just come and play as hard as I can. It’s the same for me, thinking about this season, as it was last year, when I was in the last year of my contract. As a player, I don’t think you can worry about that too much.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...