NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Notre Dame DT Louis Nix III
|03.20.14 at 3:16 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
LOUIS NIX III
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Notre Dame
Weight: 342 pounds
Achievements: 2012 first-team All-Independent, 2012 CBSSports.com third-team All-American
What he brings: Nix has been compared to Patriots defensive tackle Vince Wilfork, being a larger player who moves well and has good power. He underwent knee surgery on Nov. 21 to repair a torn meniscus. According to ESPN’s Mel Kiper, there are concerns about his gap control. Nix has good awareness, hands, and a strong motor. There are concerns that he lets his emotions get the better of him on the playing field.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1 (might require a trade to move up a few spots)
Notes: After a dominant 2012 season when he started 11 of 13 games and recorded 50 tackles, two sacks, 7.5 tackles for losses and five pass breakups, Nix missed five games in 2013 due to knee tendinitis. His final stat line in 2013 was 27 tackles, two being for a loss. … Nix’s nickname is “Irish Chocolate.” He has a YouTube channel called “Chocolate News.”
CBS Sports: 2014 NFL combine: Louis Nix takes comical pratfall in broad jump
Video: Here’s a look at Nix in action vs. Alabama in the 2013 BCS title game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself