NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Texas DE Jackson Jeffcoat
|03.21.14 at 3:43 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 247 pounds
Achievements: 2013 consensus All-American, 2013 Ted Hendricks Award winner, 2013 first-team All-American (Walter Camp, Associated Press, American Football Coaches Association), 2013 Big 12 Conference Defensive Player of the Year (Associated Press, San Antonio Express-News, 2013 first-team All-Big 12 selection (coaches, media)
What he brings: Jeffcoat has the solid form of an NFL defensive end and also has good speed, which allows him to make plays all over the field. The knock on him is that he has shown periods of inconsistency and has battled injuries during much of his career.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Jeffcoat was named the team MVP for the 2013 season and he is one of just five defensive ends in school history to be named a consensus All-American. He missed the last seven games of the 2012 season after suffering a right pectoral muscle rupture. … Jeffcoat’s father, Jim Jeffcoat, was an NFL defensive lineman for the Cowboys from 1983-94 and for the Bills from 1995-97. In his school bio, Jeffcoat said that his father, who is now the assistant coach and defensive line coach at the University of Colorado, is his sports hero.
The Daily Texan: Jackson Jeffcoat has successful career at Texas, hopes to have even better career in NFL
Video: Here is a video highlighting Jeffcoat’s 2013 season
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...