NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: UCLA OLB Anthony Barr
|03.22.14 at 3:56 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 248 pounds
Achievements: 2013 consensus All-American, 2013, 2012 first-team All-Pac-12
What he brings: With a great combination of size, athleticism and production, Barr is what many NFL teams are looking for in an elite edge-rusher. While Barr still needs to develop more pass-rushing moves, he has shown great burst, good pursuit and tenacious energy. He could add some more weight and needs to improve in defending the run and dropping into coverage. CBSSports compares Barr to Demarcus Ware.
Where the Patriots could get him: Barr is expected to be a top-15 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to to get him.
Notes: Barr started out as a running back at UCLA and played some tight end and receiver before moving over to linebacker in 2012. In 2013, Barr recorded 62 tackles, 10 sacks, 20 tackles for loss and five forced fumbles. … Barr ran a 4.66 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. … Barr’s father, Tony Brooks, and uncle, Reggie Brooks, were running backs in the NFL. Another uncle, Cedric Figaro, played nine years as a linebacker in the NFL. All three went to Notre Dame.
Los Angeles Daily News: UCLA junior Anthony Barr enjoying success after making switch this season to linebacker – and quickly turns into a hot NFL prospect
Los Angeles Times: Anthony Barr figures out which side he wants to be on
Video: Here are Barr’s highlights at UCLA during the 2013 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video