NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: UCLA OLB Anthony Barr
|03.22.14 at 3:56 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 248 pounds
Achievements: 2013 consensus All-American, 2013, 2012 first-team All-Pac-12
What he brings: With a great combination of size, athleticism and production, Barr is what many NFL teams are looking for in an elite edge-rusher. While Barr still needs to develop more pass-rushing moves, he has shown great burst, good pursuit and tenacious energy. He could add some more weight and needs to improve in defending the run and dropping into coverage. CBSSports compares Barr to Demarcus Ware.
Where the Patriots could get him: Barr is expected to be a top-15 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to to get him.
Notes: Barr started out as a running back at UCLA and played some tight end and receiver before moving over to linebacker in 2012. In 2013, Barr recorded 62 tackles, 10 sacks, 20 tackles for loss and five forced fumbles. … Barr ran a 4.66 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. … Barr’s father, Tony Brooks, and uncle, Reggie Brooks, were running backs in the NFL. Another uncle, Cedric Figaro, played nine years as a linebacker in the NFL. All three went to Notre Dame.
Los Angeles Daily News: UCLA junior Anthony Barr enjoying success after making switch this season to linebacker – and quickly turns into a hot NFL prospect
Los Angeles Times: Anthony Barr figures out which side he wants to be on
Video: Here are Barr’s highlights at UCLA during the 2013 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return