NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Nevada T Joel Bitonio
|03.23.14 at 4:07 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
Weight: 315 pounds
Achievements: 2013 All-Mountain West first team
What he brings: Bitonio is considered strong, quick and athletic. He plays with power and has strong hands and good balance and can move well laterally. Bitonio, who started 39 consecutive games in college, is considered undersized to be an NFL offensive tackle. He has shorter than average arms. According to CBSSports, he “can get fundamentally lazy and stop moving his feet, allowing himself to get over-extended.”
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-4
Notes: Bitonio’s father, Mike Bitonio, was a mixed martial artist who passed away in 2010. … Bitonio was a star athlete in high school, participating in football, basketball and track (shot put). He was a three year letterwinner in basketball and lettered in track during his senior year. … Bitonio surprised many at the combine, running 4.97 seconds in the 40-yard dash, 4.44 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle and 7.37 seconds in the 3-cone drill.
Reno Gazette Journal: Wolf Pack’s Joel Bitonio uses father’s inspiration to become a dominant player
Video: Here is Bitonio performing a variety of drills, including the 40-yard dash, at the NFL combine.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Updates on Patriots Star Danny Amendola's Injuries
- Why Collins Is Patriots' Most Important 2017 Free Agent
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty