NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald
|03.23.14 at 5:24 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
Weight: 288 pounds
Achievements: 2013 All-American, 2013 first-team All-ACC, 2013 ACC Defensive Player of the Year
What he brings: Donald is a speedy athlete with a very good first-step. CBSSports.com notes that “his first step routinely beats opponents for immediate pressures.” He is considered to be very quick but undersized. Donald’s hand placement could be better and his arms are short for a defensive tackle.
Where the Patriots could get him: Donald is expected to be a top-20 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to to get him.
Notes: Donald recorded 11 sacks and four forced fumbles during his senior season. He played in 51 games during his four years at Pittsburgh. … Donald went to high school in Pittsburgh as well, playing defensive tackle and offensive guard. … He is widely considered one of the two best defensive tackles along with Notre Dame‘s Louis Nix. Mike Mayock of NFL.com recently rated Donald as his No. 1 defensive tackle.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald’s dominance noted at awards show
Video: Here are 2013 highlights of Donald at Pittsburgh.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL