NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Auburn RB Tre Mason
|03.24.14 at 9:46 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Running back
Weight: 207 pounds
Achievements: 2013 SEC championship game MVP, 2013 SEC Offensive Player of the Year, 2013 second-team AP All-American, 2013 first-team All-SEC
What he brings: One of the best running backs in college football in 2013, Mason is a smaller back who processes quick feet and excellent vision. Despite his small frame, Mason consistently hits the line and doesn’t bounce off the line much. His average speed and lack of pass-catching ability is a concern for scouts.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: The 20-year-old was a finalist for the 2013 Heisman Trophy. In 2013, Mason rushed for 23 touchdowns and 1,816 yards, breaking Bo Jackson‘s single-season school record of 1,786 yards. … Mason ran a 4.5 40-yard dash at the NFL combine. … Mason’s father, Vincent Mason, is part of a hip-hop group called De La Soul. Vincent’s stage name is Maseo.
Auburn Tigers: Auburn’s Tre Mason knows the way
Bleacher Report: Despite Incredible Season, Tre Mason Must Impress at 2014 combine
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Issues the Patriots Will Face in 2016 Season
- Super Bowl Odds: Patriots Betting Favorites Despite Brady Suspension
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble
- Report: Lombardi Leaving Pats Front Office