NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Arizona State DT Will Sutton
|03.25.14 at 4:43 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Arizona State
Weight: 305 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American, 2013 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, 2013 first-team All-Pac-12, 2012 consensus All-American, 2012 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year, 2012 first-team All-Pac-12
What he brings: Sutton is a well-rounded player who has good awareness, short-area quickness, and decent strength. He’s noted for having quick feet and good initial burst. Sutton upped his weight during 2013, getting up to 305 pounds. At 6-1, he is considered undersized for defensive tackle. He has short arms and can get winded quickly.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-4
Notes: Sutton saw a dip in production from 2012 (12 sacks and 23.5 tackles for losses) to 2013 (four sacks and 13.5 tackles for losses). He started 38 of 39 games in his last three seasons. … He had a forgettable Senior Bowl and did not impress at Arizona State’s pro day. … He missed the entire 2010 season due to being academically ineligible. … Sutton’s father, Mickey Sutton, played in the NFL for five seasons with the Rams, Packers and Bills as a cornerback and punt returner.
NFL.com: Draft stock of Arizona State’s Will Sutton heading downward
ArizonaCentral.com: ASU’s Will Sutton hopes to make up for lost season
Video: Here are Sutton’s highlights against Texas Tech during the 2013 Holiday Bowl.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?