NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Washington State SS Deone Bucannon
|03.28.14 at 5:30 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Strong safety
School: Washington State
Weight: 211 pounds
Achievements: Associated Press and Athlon Sports 2013 first-team All-American, 2013 College Football Performance Awards Elite Defensive Back, 2013 first-team All-Pac-12, 2013 Jim Thorpe award semifinalist
What he brings: The three-time captain impressed with the power that allowed him to lead the Pac-12 in tackles during the 2013 season. Analysts warn, though, that he is stiff in the hips, something that causes problems when he missteps while tracking down an opponent.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Bucannon was a top performer in the 40-yard dash, bench press, vertical jump and broad jump at the combine. … He has the second-most solo tackles with 268 and the fourth-most tackles overall with 348 in Washington State history. … Bucannon was suspended for the first half of a game in 2012 after a late hit against Eastern Washington.
The Seattle Times: Ex-WSU safety Deone Bucannon’s draft stock is rising
ESPN.com: Bucannon ready for NFL combine
Video: Here is a video highlighting Bucannon’s junior and senior seasons at Washington State
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL