NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Baylor SS Ahmad Dixon
|03.31.14 at 9:58 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Strong safety
Weight: 212 pounds
Achievements: 2013 Sporting News, AFCA first-team All-American, 2013 unanimous first-team All-Big 12, 2012, 2011 All-Big 12 honorable mention
What he brings: Dixon has solid speed and good size for his position, and he’s known as an aggressive tackler. Analysts note that he needs to work toward a better vision and understanding of the game. At the scouting combine, he was timed at 4.64 in the 40-yard dash, 7.54 in the 3-cone drill and 12.01 in the 60-yard shuttle. He improved on all three numbers at Baylor’s pro day on March 19, producing a 4.52 dash, a 7.28 3-cone and an 11.16 shuttle.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-5
Notes: Dixon was arrested after he allegedly assaulted a man who Dixon believed broke into his house. He was cleared of the charges by a grand jury in December. … Dixon was ejected from a game and suspended from half a game during the 2013 season after he was called for targeting during Baylor’s contest against TCU on Nov. 30. Dixon played at nickelback during his sophomore and junior seasons before settling in at safety as a senior.
ESPN.com: NFL combine is key for former Big 12 stars
DallasCowboys.com: Ahmad Dixon sees Williams like family, big brother
Video: Here is a video highlighting Dixon’s career at Baylor
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL
- Twitter Reacts to Brady's Denied Appeal
- Brady's Request for Rehearing of Deflategate Appeal Denied