NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack
|04.05.14 at 9:30 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 251 pounds
Achievements: 2013 MAC Defensive Player of the Year, 2013 first-team All-American, 2013, 2012, 2011 first team All-MAC, 2010 third-team All-MAC
What he brings: Mack is considered by many scouts to the best talent in a talented 2014 draft class. One of the most athletically gifted outside linebackers in college, Mack has a high-energy motor, excellent frame and impressive burst. He has an ideal build and great edge speed. While Mack can get to the quarterback, he struggles in other aspects of his game, particularly dropping into coverage and tackling in open space.
Where the Patriots could get him: Mack is projected to be a top-10 pick, so the Patriots undoubtedly would need to trade up to get him.
Notes: In 2013 Mack recorded 100 tackles, 10.5 sacks and five forced fumbles. For his career, Mack had 28.5 sacks, an NCAA-record 16 forced fumbles and an NCAA–record-tying 75 tackles for loss. … In 2012 Mack got into a fight with teammate Fred Lee and was suspended for the first game of that season. … Mack did not miss any games in college due to injury.
Video: Here are Mack’s 2013 highlights with Buffalo.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL