NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Missouri DE Kony Ealy
|04.06.14 at 9:11 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 273 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-SEC, 2011 Big 12 all-freshman team
What he brings: Scouts point out Ealy’s athleticism and speed that allows him to have solid initial quickness off the snap. Scouts also say, though, that Ealy needs to continue developing his awareness of the game. As a junior in 2013, Ealy had 43 tackles, 14.5 for loss, 9.5 sacks and three forced fumbles.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: Ealy was roommates with Michael Sam while at Missouri. Although Sam was the SEC’s Co-Defensive Player of the Year, Ealy is projected to have more of an upside. … Ealy had the fastest 3-cone drill time of any defensive lineman at the NFL combine. His 40-yard-dash time was an unimpressive 4.97, but he improved on that at Missouri’s pro day last month, reportedly running in the 4.6 range.
NFL.com: Kony Ealy doesn’t see Michael Sam as off-field distraction
Columbia Daily Tribune: Taking stock of Kony Ealy’s stock
Video: Here is a video highlighting Ealy’s time at Missouri.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...