NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Ohio State OT Jack Mewhort
|04.09.14 at 9:52 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
School: Ohio State
Weight: 309 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American (ESPN.com), 2013 second-team All-American (Walter Camp, Sports illustrated, FWAA)
What he brings: Mewhort is a versatile player with strong leadership ability that led to him being named a captain by both his teammates and his coach. He showed his durability by starting the final 39 games of his college career (spanning three seasons). Analysts note that he plays high at times, leaving him vulnerable to bull rushes.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Mewhort was part of an offensive line that was part of 24 consecutive victories between 2012 and ’13 and broke the school records for points scored (637), touchdowns (87), touchdown passes (38) and yards per carry (6.8) this past season. … Mewhort lost his scholarship for the summer of 2012 after he was arrested and pleaded guilty for public urination and running from police along with teammate Jake Stoneburner.
The Lantern: Carlos Hyde, Jake Mewhort among Ohio State football players responsible for program’s image at NFL combine
Video: Here are some highlights of Mewhort (No. 74) against San Diego State this past season.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions