NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Michigan OT Taylor Lewan
|04.12.14 at 9:41 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
Weight: 315 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American (Sporting News), 2013 second-team All-American (Walter Camp, Associated Press, CBS Sports, SI.com), 2013, 2012 Big Ten Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year, 2013, 2012 All-Big Ten first team (coaches, media), 2013 semifinalist for Rotary Lombardi Award, 2012 first-team All-American (Walter camp, AP, ESPN.com, SI.com)
What he brings: Lewan has the size and quick feet to find success in the NFL, but he only became an offensive lineman during his senior year of high school so he is a late switch to the position. Analysts note that he sometimes struggles with technique and reacting to plays.
Where the Patriots could get him: Lewan is projected as a top-15 pick, so the Patriots likely would need to trade up to get him.
Notes: Lewan redshirted his freshman year and was named a CollegeFootballNews.com second-team freshman All-America during his first season playing for Michigan in 2010. … On Sept. 15, 2012, he became the first Michigan offensive lineman to score a touchdown since 1948. … According to Deadspin, … as a freshman Lewan threatened a woman who allegedly was sexually assaulted by Lewan’s freshman roommate, Brendan Gibbons.
NFL.com: Taylor Lewan, Seantrel Henderson seek more momentum at combine
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...