NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: West Virginia RB Charles Sims
|04.12.14 at 5:57 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Running back
School: West Virginia
Weight: 214 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-Big 12, 2013 Big 12 Offensive Newcomer of the Year, 2012 second-team All-C-USA, 2011 first-team All-C-USA, 2009 C-USA Freshman of the Year
What he brings: The 23-year-old is a strong, quick back with good burst, great vision and excellent catching abilities. Sims is a weapon who can make defenders miss with a mix of power and agility. Analysts note that Sims struggles with ball security and fails to get lower to the ground at times, running too tall, making him easier to tackle.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 3-4
Notes: Sims started his collegiate career at Houston, playing there from 2009-12 before transferring to West Virginia. … During his senior season at West Virginia, he ran for 1,095 yards on 208 carries for a 5.3 average, scoring 11 touchdowns. He added 45 catches for 401 yards and three receiving touchdowns. … At the NFL combine, Sims ran a 4.48 40-yard dash.
NFL.com: Charles Sims of West Virginia might surprise people in NFL
Video: Here are Sims’ 2013 highlights with West Virginia.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Rookie Cyrus Jones Fits in Patriots Defense
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions