NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: TCU CB Jason Verrett
|04.13.14 at 9:36 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 189 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American (Walter Camp, Fox Sports), second-team All-American (Associated Press, SI.com, FWAA, USA Today), co-Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year (coaches), ranked by ESPN.com as the top player in the Big 12, Jim Thorpe Award semifinalist, Lott IMPACT Trophy quarterfinalist
What he brings: Analysts agree that Verrett has strong instincts and quick reaction skills that help with his ball skills. They do point out, though, that his frame is smaller than the typical player at his position.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-3
Notes: Due to academic struggles, Verrett started out his college career at Santa Rosa (Calif.) Junior College. He earned a starting position as soon as he arrived at TCU, eventually earning first-team All-American honors from SI.com during his junior season. … Verrett had surgery in late March after he suffered a torn labrum at the beginning of the 2013 season.
CBSSports.com: 2014 NFL combine: Five takeaways from Sunday
Dallas News: Breakdown: TCU CB Jason Verrett’s combine performance
NFL.com: Justin Gilbert, Jason Verrett stand out on combine’s final day
Video: Here’s a video highlighting Verrett’s career at TCU.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...