NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: BYU OLB Kyle Van Noy
|04.14.14 at 9:47 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
KYLE VAN NOY
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 245 pounds
Achievements: 2013, 2012 third-team All-American, 2012, 2012, 2011 first-team All-Independent, 2012 Poinsettia Bowl Defensive MVP
What he brings: Scouts consider Van Noy one of the most pro-ready prospects in the NFL draft. A well-built frame, excellent instincts, consistency and a knack to make plays make Van Noy an exciting prospect and one of the top outside linebacker prospects. There are concerns about Van Noy’s average athleticism, and some scouts consider his coverage skills average to below average.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-2
Notes: Van Noy, who never missed a game at BYU, had a career-high 70 tackles in 2013 but saw his sack numbers dip, recording four sacks in 2013 compared to 13 in 2012. … In his four seasons Van Noy played in four bowl games: the 2010 New Mexico Bowl, the 2011 Armed Forces Bowl, the 2012 Poinsettia Bowl and the 2013 Fight Hunger Bowl. BYU went 3-1 in those games, losing the Fight Hunger Bowl. … In 2009 Van Noy was charged with a DUI. He sat out that year for violating BYU’s honor code.
Desert News: Dick Harmon: Kyle Van Noy becomes the latest superstar to join BYU’s club of legends
CBSSports: Living up to honor code as important as football to BYU’s Van Noy
Video: Here are Van Noy’s 2013 highlights against Utah State.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Comments on Friendship with President Donald Trump
- Even Patriots Haters Should Marvel at Historic Greatness of Brady and Co.
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself