NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews
|04.14.14 at 5:32 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
Weight: 212 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American (USA Today, Athlon), 2013 consensus first-team All-SEC wide receiver, 2013 Biletnikoff award semifinalist, 2012 first-team All-SEC (Associated Press, coaches)
What he brings: Matthews is known as a solid route-runner with good hand-eye coordination. While he has a good frame, it’s believed that he needs to bulk up more and improve in contested situations.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Matthews, 21, is a cousin of Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice. … He is the SEC’s all-time leader in career receptions with 262 and receiving yards with 3,759. He also holds the Vanderbilt records for receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions with 24. … As a senior in 2013 he had 112 catches for 1,477 yards and seven touchdowns.
The Tennessean: Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews flashes 40-yard speed at NFL combine
The Tennessean: Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews surprises Mike Mayock
Video: Here is a video highlighting Matthews’ career at Vanderbilt.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return