NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews
|04.14.14 at 5:32 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Wide receiver
Weight: 212 pounds
Achievements: 2013 first-team All-American (USA Today, Athlon), 2013 consensus first-team All-SEC wide receiver, 2013 Biletnikoff award semifinalist, 2012 first-team All-SEC (Associated Press, coaches)
What he brings: Matthews is known as a solid route-runner with good hand-eye coordination. While he has a good frame, it’s believed that he needs to bulk up more and improve in contested situations.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-3
Notes: Matthews, 21, is a cousin of Hall of Fame wide receiver Jerry Rice. … He is the SEC’s all-time leader in career receptions with 262 and receiving yards with 3,759. He also holds the Vanderbilt records for receptions, receiving yards and touchdown receptions with 24. … As a senior in 2013 he had 112 catches for 1,477 yards and seven touchdowns.
The Tennessean: Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews flashes 40-yard speed at NFL combine
The Tennessean: Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews surprises Mike Mayock
Video: Here is a video highlighting Matthews’ career at Vanderbilt.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades