NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: LSU DT Anthony Johnson
|04.15.14 at 9:37 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2014 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
Weight: 308 pounds
Achievements: 2013 second-team All-SEC (Associated Press, coaches), 2011 freshman All American (CBSSports.com, Sporting News).
What he brings: Scouts say that Johnson has ideal initial quickness, and that he will frequently be the first LSU defensive lineman off the ball. They also say, though, that he needs more polishing and has a tendency to play tall.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 4
Notes: In his three years with LSU, Johnson, who goes by the nickname “The Freak,” has dropped more than 30 pounds in an effort to increase his speed. He led the team with nine tackles for loss in 13 starts during the 2013 season. … During his senior year of high school, Johnson was named the first lineman, and just the third defender, to receive the Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year award. All major recruiting services ranked Johnson the top defensive tackle prospect in the nation in 2010. … Johnson and his family were displaced after Hurricane Katrina and moved to Alabama for a period of time before he returned to Louisiana.
The Times-Picayune: Lack of production not bothering former LSU defensive tackle Anthony Johnson in draft prep
CBSSports.com: LSU DT Anthony Johnson declares for draft
Video: Here is a video highlighting Johnson’s career at LSU
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...